August 25, 2008

The strangest language

At their cabin in Big Bear, my parents have a little metal board and a box of magnetized plastic letters like many people post on their refrigerators. During recent visit, we took turns spelling out various messages on the board.

Inspired by who-knows-what, one morning I filled the board with words that end with a differently-spelled "aff" sound:
  • staff
  • laugh
  • gaffe
  • carafe
  • half
  • graph
This got us talking a bit about how strange the English language is and how difficult it can be to learn to recognize and spell many English words.

Recalling a puzzle she once saw, my mom wrote the following on a piece of paper and asked if I could pronounce it:

ghoti

These letters (at least as they occasionally sound in other English words) can be pronounced as a very common English word. Is anyone willing to venture a guess?

2 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

My 7th grade English teacher wrote that word on the board along with several others of the same ilk. I can't remember any others (phooey!) except that one had an 'ol' that was pronounced 'er' as in 'colonel.' I just did a fruitless google search to find the colonel word, and didn't, but saw there is a rock group called Ghotihook! It would be fun to make up a list like that.

Anonymous said...

Ack! What's the answer? --Andrea